Thursday, September 12, 2019

10 things you don’t need to write in a cover letter

When you apply for a job, you send the employer two things: a resume and a cover letter. Everything is clear with the resume: all recruiters are interested in the experience of a potential employee. With a cover letter is more difficult.

On the one hand, there are positions for which only the experience of the applicant is important. In this case, the recruiter may generally ignore the letter. On the other hand, there are employers who weed out candidates by letter without even opening a resume. So that in any of these cases we do not get into trouble, we have compiled 10 rules that will help us not to write too much in our response to the employer.

Rule number 1: Do not tell the biography
Example: “I was born in Moscow in 1987. He graduated from high school with an in-depth study of English with a gold medal. In 2004 he entered the Moscow State University at the Faculty of Journalism ... "

Your biography is not interesting to anyone except your parents, spouses and close friends. It is important for the employer to know how you will be useful to him and how to solve his task.

Rule number 2. Do not write in general terms
Example: “I was interested in the vacancy of a project manager in your company. My experience is fully consistent with your requirements. I believe that I can benefit your company. Please consider my resume".

This is a template cover letter in which there is no useful information about you - one “water”. There is a feeling that you sent the same text in twenty responses to vacancies.

Rule number 3: Do not write formally
Example: “Please consider my candidacy for the position of“ Internet Marketer ”. My name is Andrei Petrov, I am 28 years old, I am a graduate of the Russian State University for the Humanities, Department of Management, Department of Marketing and Advertising. ”

Why? Because the employer is a living person, not a robot.

Rule number 4. Do not write platitudes
Example: “I am stress-resistant, easy to learn, sociable, responsible and good at working both as a team and individually.”

This is a standard set of phrases from a resume. Such qualities can be attributed to any applicant. Try to prove each point with examples. “I am sociable: at the last job I had to talk a lot with the press secretaries of the Moscow courts. I met them personally and maintained a good relationship. ” Or: “I like to learn new things: when I needed the skills of prototyping interfaces, I independently mastered the basics of Axure in a month.”

Rule number 5. Don't talk about hobbies
Example: “I am fond of yoga and running, dancing Irish tap dance, listening to classical music, and on weekends I travel to estates near Moscow and I keep a blog about symbolism in Dostoevsky’s novels.”

Once again: the employer is hardly interested in your personality. He is interested in how you solve work tasks. It’s worth mentioning a hobby only if it is directly related to work. Do you have a blog? Tell us about this in response to the vacancy of an SMM manager.

Rule number 6. Don't try to be witty
Example: “I have been working with text from early childhood and intend to continue. Everyone - from parents to an elderly teacher of literature - called me young Pushkin. At the Faculty of Journalism, my mission was revealed to me ... "

A cover letter is not a place for wit. This is especially true for people of the so-called "creative professions." You don’t know what sense of humor a recruiter will have, so it’s better not to risk it: do not concentrate on yourself, concentrate on the requirements for a vacancy.

Rule number 7. Don't brag
Example: “For a professional of my level, not only the financial issue is of great importance, but also my personal interest in the projects that the company is engaged in.”

It looks as if you are honoring your employer by applying for a job. As long as you do not know anything about the company and its leaders, do not boast, do not demonstrate the principles, and do not write that with your help they will definitely earn a lot of money - you cannot guarantee this.

Rule number 8. Do not push for pity
Example: “I really need this work in order to manage to repay the loan before the end of 2017.”

The response to the vacancy is not a place for requests and pity. Credit, rent, children - your problems. So far, they are not interested in the employer.

Rule number 9. Do not talk about irrelevant experiences
Example: “I’m interested in your job as a sales manager. I have a lot of experience. In my first year I worked as a courier ... "

Everything that you write in a cover letter should be directly related to the requirements of the vacancy. You can tell the sales manager about the experience of negotiations at the university student council, but working as a courier is unlikely to impress the HR manager. Also, do not list all your achievements, bonuses and awards in a letter if this experience does not help you solve the employer's task.

Rule number 10. Do not compare yourself with other candidates
Example: "I am sure that I can solve this problem better than other applicants."

You do not know who else sent the resume, therefore you cannot be sure of anything.

Some tips to help make your writing better
Reread job requirements. Point by point, prove that your experience meets these requirements.
Do not write a “sheet” of text. Make the letter as structural as a resume.
Remember the task of the employer: as quickly as possible to find an adequate independent candidate who will solve the company's problem.
Check spelling. Just in case.
Keep in mind the main thing: the letter should answer the question of how you will be useful to the employer. Let every sentence prove your worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment